Saturday, May 14, 2011

Epidendrum ibaguense

I've had this kid one for a couple of months now, and I really can't believe that I haven't blogged about her.
Anyhow, this kid has since lost her blooms, but is showing a couple of sheaths. So, hopefully soon we;ll have some new flowers.  :)

I bought this one at a local nursery, and honestly I wasn't even looking for orchids. I was really shopping for some black elephant ears for my patio, but being me. . . . I just had to buy the orchid.  Atleast for the time being. . . she's living on my patio (I'm pretty much out of room, and this plant is rather large). Oh, and I really don't know why I left the tag on this one. 



  1. I actually just received my first Epidendrum (floribundum). I ordered it from a retailer that ships bare root and it did not have very happy roots when it arrived. In the end I removed 75-80% of its root mass (all rotted or dead) and potted it in a teensy pot. Here's hoping it will come back. It has a sheath on the largest growth - I'd love to see it recover enough to bloom, but it probably won't.

  2. These guys are pretty resilient, it will probably do well. I use 'Super Thrive' on all of my rescues and it has done wonders for their roots. You might give it a try.

    I'd love to see pictures of your orchids.

  3. I love Superthrive! My Epi. got a nice long soak in warm water with Superthrive and brown sugar. The leaves are maintaining their structure pretty well. I think it's going to pull through!

    I have been meaning to start "blogging" my orchids. After all, it's a great way to keep your records straight. I'll let you know when I do start up.